"God showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand… and it was round as a ball. I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought: 'What can this be?' And it was generally answered thus: 'It is all that was made.' It was so small I thought it might disappear, but I was answered... everything has being through the love of God." --Julian of Norwich

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A heartfelt sales pitch: There's room for you at this table

The table spread for one of our last meals on the "Food, Community and Creation" course last spring.


This summer is my first summer since coming to Regent when I won't be taking any summer courses.  Of course I'll be learning a lot about parenting, mostly by trial and error, but I'll miss Regent summers.  The professors are wonderful, the courses are unique and interesting, and the time to work is focused.  Plus, summers in Vancouver are gorgeous--not too hot, not too cold, the clouds finally clear away, the CSA's start delivering fresh veggies, and you just want to be at the beach all day.

The moral of this story is: if you've never considered it, you should consider coming for a Regent summer course.  No matter where you're at in your "formal" education, Regent courses are a great "sabbatical" for spiritual restoration.  If you don't need credit for the course, you can audit (sitting in on the course without having to complete the assignments).  And it's a great no-risk way to check out what Regent has to offer.

I'm graduating this April and I can't recommend Regent highly enough.  I've learned so much about my faith while here, deepening my spiritual practices as well as learning about the history of Christianity and finding at least some answers to questions that were following me around like the role of women in the church, my denominational identity, and my life calling.

I think my favorite part has been that Regent is not primarily a seminary (not to diminish the MDiv Clint is working on so hard), but it was founded for lay people.  So coming here doesn't mean that now I'm prepared to go into "full-time Christian ministry" (although I suppose that's an option).  It means that I'm better prepared to live and work as a writer, a wife, a mother, a teacher.

So what are you waiting for?!  Get on over here!  Check out this summer's course offerings (along with free audio downloads from our brilliant professors) by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment