"God showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand… and it was round as a ball. I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought: 'What can this be?' And it was generally answered thus: 'It is all that was made.' It was so small I thought it might disappear, but I was answered... everything has being through the love of God." --Julian of Norwich

Monday, April 18, 2011

30 Weeks (and a few days)



Last night, taking the 30 Weeks (and 3 days) photos got a little silly.  Daddy wanted to be in the pictures... well, sort of. ;) 

Look at me all big and pregnant, though!  It's still strange to experience all this change in my body.  Baby is growing well, though I haven't gained much weight in the past three weeks (despite the fact that I'm hungry all the time and we only eat full-fat everything), so I'm trying to eat more frequent small meals.  I also baked a cake in celebration of the end of term, because I've been craving cake for quite a while.  The only problem was, since I can never have the cakes at events because of my allergy, I don't know if I've had cake with icing for about a year.  I've also tried to cut down on sugars considerably throughout the pregnancy.  So last night, after savoring a big piece of homemade cake, I had such a sugar high I thought I was going to give myself gestational diabetes! Lol.  I'll have to get some help with eating the rest of it.  Maybe I'll freeze some for another craving.

This week at the midwife/pregnancy group, we watched a video about the stages of labor.  I've been pretty calm about the whole thing (I repeat to myself, "I trust my body, I trust my midwife and doula, I trust our hospital"), but labor is definitely unlike anything I've ever gone through before.  Here begins a great adventure.  I've been doing tons of reading up, to feel confident about natural (i.e. drug-free) strategies for coping with pain and to know when it's necessary to have medical interventions.  My favorite book so far is The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence.  It's really readable (not just charts and graphs).  The tone is really kind and calming (not angry about hospital births, but a balanced presentation of the facts).  And it's about a lot more than just Lamaze-style "hee-hee-hoo" breathing.  If you're ever interested in birthing books, this is one to check out!

Well, that's my latest update.  School's out.  I'm digging into cleaning out our home and finishing up TA jobs.  Today I'll turn in my final drafts of my final project for archiving in the library.  I also have a few extra bound physical copies of the creative writing, if you would like to borrow one for a week or so.  Just drop me a note or leave a comment.

What are your latest updates?  Are you experiencing any life-changes lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment