"God showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand… and it was round as a ball. I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought: 'What can this be?' And it was generally answered thus: 'It is all that was made.' It was so small I thought it might disappear, but I was answered... everything has being through the love of God." --Julian of Norwich

Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year

Goodbye, 2011!  You were very good to me!  I hit some amazing life goals with your help.

Hello, 2012!  Here are my high hopes for you:

1) I hope you will be the year in which I finish my first book. 

2) After roti-making lessons from my lovely mother in law, I hope to make at least 100 batches of roti (5 roti per batch).  1 down and 99 left to go!  It's a little silly, but I think it will be a lesson in daily bread, and a cheap way to survive this final semester of the "grad school budget."  And I hear roti is a good first food (in a few more months anyway). Perfect!

3) I hope to write down the titles of each of the books I read.  Just for the record.  Perhaps I'll also write down a few good quotes as I'm reading.  It's something I've always meant to do.  Right now I'm on an Inklings kick:  I just finished Charles Williams two books War in Heaven and The Greater Trumps, I'm currently reading Dorothy Sayers' Whose Body.  Sayers' Strong Poison  and William's All Hallows' Eve are next up.  If you've never read Williams, get yourself to Regent College Bookstore or library now!  It will be unlike anything you've ever read before, I can assure you!

And the rest?  The parenting, the homemaking, the living?  Well, we'll take that one day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, so good to read your resolutions! I have always wanted to keep a journal of all the titles I read, but for such a small thing it somehow evades me. You've inspired me to try again this year. :o) (And blessings on the roti and writing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Cindy! I hope that we can swap book lists at some point. I think we'll both be astonished at the sheer volume. :)

    ReplyDelete